Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I Spy: Fashion Faux Pas

We have all seen it…a woman in a business suit, stockings and then we pan down to her feet and she is in sneakers…Ay Dios Mio! This is a fashion catastrophe far worse than many others in my book. I understand that for some comfort is far more important than fashion and style, but isn’t there a happy medium between being comfortable and converting all the way to wearing tennis shoes with your business attire? While I live in Charlotte and haven’t witnessed this particular travesty in person, it is more common in larger cities where there is much more walking required. I am sure if I spent some time in uptown Charlotte during the work week, I am sorry to say I would probably witness it.




While I like to be comfortable, I cannot bring myself to participate in this fashion faux pas in the name of comfort. Call me shallow and superficial but if I have to choose between being fashionable and wearing my tennis shoes with my skirt or slacks for the sake of being comfortable, I’m going ride with fashionable on this one. I know that not everyone agrees with my style over practicality mentality, but I do have a suggestion for those who lean more toward practicality; why not aim for comfort and style? Perfect Example....

Michelle Obama does comfort and style with ease.

With a pencil skirt and button up/sweater combination
 
With a business suit

Investing in a quality pair of flats can give you the comfort of not having to walk around in your heels but it also gives you a little more style and cohesiveness to your look than the mixed match look of business from head to ankle and gym class from ankle to foot. Another option could be opting for a heel that is lower than your normal heel, such as a kitten heel. You could always do what my friend Chelsea Long, author of the Off with your Jorts blog does, never leave home without your “purse flats.” Purse flats are the name she has given to the pair of flats she carries around in her purse and has ready when she needs to relieve herself from her heels. Everyone’s opinion on just how important style and fashion is in the grand scheme of things will always differ and some will never see it as important in their life but for me, it does hold a degree of importance and I think that with a little effort fashion and comfort can co-exist and not have to be independent of each another. Do you think comfort and fashion can co-exist, or do you think you have to choose one or the other?

Tell me what you think of this Fashion faux pas and don't forget to subscribe to my site for updates

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...